[netCDF #LLV-851787]: netcdf 4.1.2 issue: undefined reference to `netcdf_mp_nf90_open_', etc

> Hi Russ,
>
> I modified the parameters in the makefile below.
>
> NETCDF_LIBS=-I$(NETCDF)/include -L$(NETCDF)/lib -lnetcdff
>
> The error related netcdf_mp* gone, but new occurs.
>
> ------
> /home/sfeng/src/4chem/netcdf-4.1.2/lib/libnetcdff.so: undefined reference
> to `nc_put_vara_short'
> /home/sfeng/src/4chem/netcdf-4.1.2/lib/libnetcdff.so: undefined reference

Those errors indicate that the C netCDF library is not being linked.  You need
use instead:

  NETCDF_LIBS=-I$(NETCDF)/include -L$(NETCDF)/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf

> I think I built netcdf with shared lib because I didn't specify that as
> compiling.

It would definitely be shared with the latest release, netcdf-4.2.1.1, but
with 4.1.2 it may have been created static only, or without the information
included about where the C library could be found.

If you use the above and get other unsatisfied externals, you'll need to
add more libraries, such as -ldap -lcurl -libz.

--Russ

> On 2/13/13 12:05 PM, "Unidata netCDF Support"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >Hi Sha,
> >
> >I think the problem may be that the  Fortran library must now be
> >explicitly linked,
> >whereas previous releases allowed the Fortran library to be built right
> >into the
> >C library.  That means instead of just linking with "-lnetcdf", you need
> >to use
> >"-lnetcdff" (note the extra "f" in the first library name).
> >
> >If you build with shared libraries (the default) then this is all thatis
> >necessary.
> >If you build with static libraries only, then you must also specify
> >"-lnetcdf" after
> >"-lnetcdff" and any other libraries that were used when netCDF was built.
> >
> >--Russ
> >

> >Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> >address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> >Ticket Details
> >Ticket ID: LLV-851787
> >Department: Support netCDF