[netCDF #MLU-486882]: NetCDF must be built with netCDF-4 enabled

Hi Rakia,

> I would like to convert netCDF files to Ascii using C++ as described here:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/programs/
>
> I have downloaded the netCDF C++ source code from here:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-cxx/index.jsp

Which of the two netCDF C++ distributions did you download?  One is labelled
"NetCDF-4 C++ Source Code" and the other "Legacy NetCDF-3 C++ Source Code".
If you downloaded the first, it requires that the netCDF C library has already
been built and installed somewhere (for example in lib/, bin/, and include/
subdirectories under /usr/local).  The second "legacy C++" API is adequate for
reading and writing netCDF-3 files, which are still the majority of netCDF data.
But it still requires that the netCDF-3 library is installed first.

> and encounter a problem when configuring.
>
> I have set CPPFLAGS="-I /usr/local/netcdf/include" and LDFLAGS="-L
> /usr/local/netcdf/lib". When I then run ./configure, I get the error
> message "NetCDF must be built with netCDF-4 enabled". I found another
> couple of threads where the same problem is mentioned, so I also
> set "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/lib" and "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH", however, the same error message keeps appearing.

I think for MacOS-X, you need to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH instead of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Please let us know if this helps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MLU-486882