[netCDF #FVK-122895]: Problem with installing netCDF.

> Hi Russ,
>
> I don't have problem installing C library with --disable-netcdf-4. And I
> followed instructions at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html
>
> But still I get error for './configure --prefix=/usr/local' as below:
> checking what FC is set to... gfortran
> checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
> configure: displaying some results
> checking for /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/nm...
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/nm
> checking nm flags...
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
> link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>
> Any idea how to fix this?
> Thank you!
> Yanshi.

There's not enough information to tell just looking at the error
message above.  The error message means a simple Fortran program
compiled to conftestf.o can't be linked to a simple C program
compiled into conftest.o, so that the Fortran program can call a
function defined in the C program.

If you look at config.log towards the end of the file, the Fortran
and C programs being compiled are shown, when the error occurs.
The extra error information in config.log may be helpful in
diagnosing the problem.

What I see in config.log, using compatible versions of gcc and
gfortran, is ouput like this, indicating successful linking:

configure:19027: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
configure:19037: gcc -c -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 conftest.c
conftest.c: In function 'sub_':
conftest.c:4:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
'exit'
configure:19040: $? = 0
configure:19043: gfortran -g -O0 -fno-inline -c conftestf.f
configure:19046: $? = 0
configure:19049: gfortran -o conftest -g -O0 -fno-inline  conftestf.o
conftest.o
configure:19052: $? = 0
configure:19055: ./conftest
configure:19058: $? = 0
configure:19060: result: yes

If you can't figure it out from looking at config.log, send the whole config.log
file to us and we'll see if we can help, but it may take several days ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: FVK-122895
Department: Support netCDF