[netCDF #WEP-155858]: NetCDF 4.2 Fortran on Ubuntu 12.10 (Intended to be used with ROMS ocean model)

> I did my best effort on this, but the installation is not succesful yet.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> 0) sudo make uninstall, sudo make clean twice for each C and Fortran
> libraries

Your C installation looks fine, and you shouldn't need to repeat it.

> 1) Set flags, configure, make and install for the C libraries.
> Everything seemed to have gone fine. The output of the
> configure,make,check and install steps are attached with the "C2" suffix:
> CFLAGS=-fPIC
> CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> sudo make
> sudo make check
> sudo make install
> (log files have the suffix _C6)
>
> 2) Set flags, configure and make for the Fortran libraries. Now there is
> no error with the -fPIC option,
> as previously. Now the error is more weird as it is asking for
> libnetcdf.so, while it is there!! and I already set
> the LDFLAGS to the directory. These are the steps for the fortran:
> CFLAGS=-fPIC
> FCFLAGS=-fPIC
> CC=gcc
> FC=gfortran
> F77=gfortran
> CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> sudo make
> sudo make check
> (The install step was not done as the error appeared in the check)
> (log files have the suffix _F6)
>
> 3) Previously I tried not to run any command with sudo. I did that for
> the C and for the Fortran libraries (as suggested by Russ).
> No sudo logs have a _F4 prefix (the _C4 files are not included as they
> presented no problems)
> But then on the make of the Fortran library an error appeared of
> permission to access files and libraries (as shown in the log_make_F4).
> That is why I tried again with sudo but still not able to succeed.

I should have recommended running "sudo make distclean" rather than
"sudo make clean", because a file and directory that should have been
removed wasn't removed.  However, we haven't tested "sudo make
distclean" in the case of a failed build so it may not remove
everything needed in that case either.  At this point, I would
recommend just starting over with a new netcdf-fortran build
directory, unpacked from the netcdf-fortran-4.2 distribution without
using sudo.  Then don't use sudo in the Fortran build unless "make
check" works, after which you can use "sudo make install".

The fact that you are no longer getting "-fPIC" error messages is
actually good progress, and I think the final problem is easier to
solve.  It may just be a matter of following step 3 in the
instructions at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

by setting the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
before running the netcdf-fortran configure script.  However, the
value of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is often not inherited when you use sudo,
because of a security issue.

Please ket us know if this works, because it will take some time to
try to duplicate this problem on our Ubntu virtual machine ...

--Russ