[netCDF #HCN-982827]: Question concerning the netCDF data format

Hi Mathias,

> my name is Mathias from Germany. I have a question concerning the
> netCDF-data format.
>
> My problem:
>
> I am looking for a method (for example a VBA-Modul) to import hplc
> chromatograms
>
> (in the *.CDF-data format, Level 1) into excel.
>
> I found your project page. Is netCDF (*.NC) compatible with *.CDF ?

Yes, I believe the *.CDF files used in chromatography use netCDF "classic"
format, as discussed here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry_data_format#ANDI-MS_or_netCDF

But ".CDF" was also used by a different NASA Common Data Format, so we
recommended using ".nc" as the extension for netCDF files instead.  But
most netCDF tools don't care about the file extension.

If you Google for

  netCDF chromatography

you should see various software packages that can import and export
chromatography data that uses the netCDF file format.  Unidata has no
tools or software specifically for chromatography, as our community
uses netCDF in climate, ocean, and atmopheric science data.

However, we know about some generic software for Excel and netCDF:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html#ExcelUse

--Russ

Ticket ID: HCN-982827
Department: Support netCDF