[netCDF #HBF-504746]: install netcdf4 and hdf libraries on mac osx 10.6.8

Hi Gregory,

> Description of problem: I am looking for simple, straightforward instructions
> on installing netcdf4 and hdf libraries on a mac osx 64 bit machine.
>
> I have a macbook pro running 10.6.8.
>
> I have googled a lot, but failed to find the necessary steps (by the
> numbers).  Can anyone help?

The simplest way is to use a package management system, such as MacPorts:

  http://www.macports.org/

With that installed, building and installing netCDF-4 with HDF5 libraries is
one step:

  1.  sudo port install netcdf

If you also want the fortran API, you could then run

  sudo port install netcdf-fortran

and there are similarly easy installs of packages and dependencies for
a Python API (py-netcdf4), the C++ legacy library (netcdf-cxx) or the
new C++ netCDF-4 library (netcdf-cxx4).

Other package managemnt systems for OSX also provide netCDF, such as fink.

If you want to build from source, just download the latest source release of
HDF5 and run

  1.  configure
  2.  make check
  3.  sudo make install

where you can provide various options to configure, if needed.  Then download
the latest netCDF C source and run the same 3 commands, following these
instructions for telling netCDF where HDF5 is installed using CPPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS environment variables:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

After that, if you want add-ons such as Fortran libraries or C++ libraries,
you'll need to download the source for those, tell their configure where the
netCDF C library is installed, and run the same 3 commands.

--Russ

Ticket ID: HBF-504746
Department: Support netCDF