[netCDF #RMQ-116404]: NETCDF install issues

Evan,

> I am now back to the same error I was getting before. >>
> checking whether extra example tests should be run... no
> checking whether a win32 DLL is desired... no
> configure: checking types, headers, and functions
> checking netcdf.h usability... no
> checking netcdf.h presence... no
> checking for netcdf.h... no
> configure: error: netcdf.h could not be found. Please set CPPFLAGS.
>
> Here are the commands I am using to build this >>
> #C-Library
> setenv NCDIR /tmp/nc430-nonc4
> sudo ./configure --disable-netcdf-4 --prefix=${NCDIR}
> sudo make all
> sudo make check install
>
> #Fortran-Library
> setenv NFDIR /tmp/nf42-nonc4
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${NCDIR}/lib
> setenv LDFLAGS -L${NCDIR}/lib
> setenv CPPFLAGS -I${NCDIR}/include
> sudo ./configure --prefix=${NFDIR}                <<FAILS HERE
> sudo make all
> sudo make check all
>
> ls -l ${NFDIR}/include
>
> Ive attached the config.log for the C-Library and Fortran-library.

The Fortran_config.log you sent shows that there's something wrong
with how you're setting CPPFLAGS, because it isn't getting set in
a way that the configure script sees its value.  These lines in
Fortran_config.log show it isn't set:

  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
  CPPFLAGS=''

instead of what you should see if CPPFLAGS is set:

  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=set
  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=-I/tmp/nc430-nonc4/include
  CPPFLAGS='-I/tmp/nc430-nonc4/include'

Maybe your system is set up so that running commands under
"sudo" don't inherit the environment variables from the parent
process, in which case you should just run configure, make, and
make check as a normal user.  Only "make install" needs to be
run as sudo; see step 4 of

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

Alternatively, maybe you're running the configure command in a
shell that's not a subshell of the one in which you set the
environment variables, so it won't see them.

--Russ

Ticket ID: RMQ-116404
Department: Support netCDF