[netCDF #VSI-534627]: netcdf build, test for hdf4 fails

Hi Johannes,

> I need to build the netcdf tools with support for hdf4. The build process
> itself seems to go through without errors, however the test fails
> (attached). I tried building without the support for hdf4, which works
> (well, the tests run through). I found the gotcha with the header files
> for hdf4, so it does not seem to be that one...
> Attached are:
> buildoutput_configure.txt
> the output of
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-dap --enable-hdf4
>
> and
> buildoutput_makecheck.txt
> the output of
> make check
> (which also builds the libraries / tools before checking).
>
> System is Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) on a netbook (Intel Atom CPU)

From the warning messages compiling tst_interops2.c, it appears you have built
the HDF4
library with support for netCDF-2 APIs, which causes name clashes in macro
definitions:

  In file included from /usr/include/hdf/hdf.h:21:0,
                   from /usr/include/hdf/mfhdf.h:25,
                   from tst_interops2.c:11:
  /usr/include/hdf/hlimits.h:197:0: Warnung: »MAX_NC_DIMS« redefiniert
[standardmäßig aktiviert]
../include/netcdf.h:1729:0: Anmerkung: dies ist die Stelle der vorherigen
Definition
  /usr/include/hdf/hlimits.h:198:0: Warnung: »MAX_NC_VARS« redefiniert
[standardmäßig aktiviert]
../include/netcdf.h:1731:0: Anmerkung: dies ist die Stelle der vorherigen
Definition

You will have to rebuild the HDF4 library with the configure option
--disable-netcdf, as explained
here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/build_hdf4.html

Then rebuild the netCDF-4.3.0 library as you have done and it should work.  If
it doesn't, please
send the config.log file from the netCDF-4 build.

--Russ

Ticket ID: VSI-534627
Department: Support netCDF