[netCDF #AVK-193520]: error building netCDF 4.2.1

Hi Angel,

> i want to install netcdf4.2.1 with zlib,hdf5
> in first step i got following error:
> [fereshteh@localhost ~]$ cd /home/fereshteh/zlib-1.2.7
> [fereshteh@localhost zlib-1.2.7]$ ./configure
> --prefix=/home/fereshteh/NETCDF_4.2.1.1
> Checking for gcc...
> Checking for shared library support...
> No shared library support.
> Building static library libz.a version 1.2.7 with cc.
> Checking for off64_t... No.
> Checking for fseeko... No.
> Checking for strerror... No.
> Checking for unistd.h... No.
> Checking for stdarg.h... No.
> Checking whether to use vs[n]printf() or s[n]printf()... using s[n]printf().
> Checking for snprintf() in stdio.h... No.
> WARNING: snprintf() not found, falling back to sprintf(). zlib
> can build but will be open to possible buffer-overflow security
> vulnerabilities.
> Checking for return value of sprintf()... No.
> WARNING: apparently sprintf() does not return a value. zlib
> can build but will be open to possible string-format security
> vulnerabilities.
> Looking for a four-byte integer type... Not found.
>
> would you please tell me how i can fix it?

The errors above are from trying to build zlib.  It appears that your
development
environment and gcc compiler are missing basic capabilities needed by zlib, and
other open source C software.  You haven't said what your development platform
is,
but you may need to download its development environment.  For example, if
you're
using MacOS-X, you would need to download and install XCode.

We didn't develop zlib and can't answer support questions about building it.
The zlib web site says this:

  Mark and Jean-loup can be reached by e-mail at address@hidden. Please read
the
  FAQ and the manual before asking us for help. We are getting too many
questions
  which already have an answer in the zlib documentation.

--Russ

Ticket ID: AVK-193520
Department: Support netCDF