[netCDF #XLL-532240]: netCDF-4 C++

Hi Jarle,

> We have been using the netCDF-CXX4 (4.2.1) API for a while and we find
> that it has some issues. Is there any plans regarding further development
> of this API?

With our recent move of netcdf-cxx4 to GitHub, we're hoping for some
contributions from the community that will help in the maintenance and
further development of this API.  One volunteer has expressed interest
in taking a role in this development as soon as he finishes his PhD.

We are still exploring other possibilities for getting the resources
to continue the netCDF-4 C++ development.  Sorry I can't be more definite,
but at this time we only have about 2 FTE for netCDF C and Fortran
development, maintenance, and support.  The netCDF-Java CDM software
is more popular and we're devoting another FTE to that API because
it's used by other Unidata software (TDS and IDV).

It would be good to have a concrete list of issues you've identified with
the netCDF-4 C++ software, so we could at least make such a list available
on the GitHub site for external developers.  If you could provide such a
list, it might provide a focus for efforts to maintain and improve this
software.

Thanks for your interest ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: XLL-532240