[netCDF #NHS-426055]: ncgen not working

Hi Sam,

> Description of problem: ncgen file.asc has not worked on yellowstone since
> the first time I tried it. Today it's not working on the CGD machines either.
> The command does nothing and there's no associated error message.
>
> The CGD systems group tells me:
> "we _finally_ updated ncgen to the latest version (the one running on
> yellowstone).
> Probably need to talk to the NetCDF developers to get that functionality put
> back in."

I'm assuming "file.asc" is a CDL file, such as output from ncdump?

The intended behavior for ncgen, if no options are specified, is to not
produce any output, but merely check the syntax of the input CDL file.
That's what the documentation says in this excerpt:

   ... If no options are specified in invoking ncgen, it merely checks
   the syntax of the input CDL file, producing error messages for any
   violations of CDL syntax.

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/ncgen-man-1.html

Maybe what you intended is to create a binary netCDF file from "file.asc"?
In that case, you want to use either the "-b" option or "-o NAME" option,
depending on what you want to netCDF file to be named.  You might also need
to specify what kind of netCDF file to create with the "-k TYPE" option.

So, for example, if you want to create a classic format netCDF file named
"foo.nc" corresponding to the CDL version in file.asc, you could use:

   ncgen -o foo.nc file.asc

Have I understood the question correctly?  If not, could you send your
file.asc so we can try to reproduce the problem here?

Thanks!

--Russ

Ticket ID: NHS-426055
Department: Support netCDF