[netCDF #ZKD-949849]: use of CF metadata conventions in an ad-hoc manner.

Hi Randy,

> It is convenient and easy to use flag varianbles with the CF attributes
> “flag_mask”, “flag_meanings”, and “flag_values”, but we don’t necessarily
> want to use other CF metadata standards because it increases the amount of
> software development.  Do you guys have an opinion on an approach such as
> this ?

Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand the question you're asking.

Do you mean the amount of software development for you, users of your data,
developers of other software for using your data, or us?

I think use of CF attributes ultimately makes software easier to write,
because, as I wrote in a NASA standard for CF Metadata conventions:

  ... Conventions that select a single way to represent metadata make it
  practical to write software that “understands” the metadata. The
  resulting uniformity of access supports the development of applications
  with powerful extraction, regridding, analysis, visualization, and
  processing capabilities.

  --
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/esdswg/spg/rfc/esds-rfc-021/ESDS-RFC-021-v0.01.pdf

--Russ