[netCDF #CMT-917228]: Building with PGI 12.10

> Hello,
>
> Is there documentation on building the combo:
>
> netcdf 4.3.1.1
> netcdf-cxx4-4.2
> netcdf-fortran-4.2
>
> With PGI 12.10 somewhere?

No, not that I know of.  There is this from a PGI site, dated 2011:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf411_pgi2011.htm

> Specifically, the following files are missing according to our developers:
>
> /include: ncvalues.h  netcdfcpp.h  netcdf.hh
>
> I see some comments in the release notes:
>
> * Changed the extension of C++ files from ".cc" to ".cpp". Renamed the
> C++ interface header file "netcdfcpp.h" instead of "netcdf.hh", changing
> "netcdf.hh" to include "netcdfcpp.h" for backward compatibility.
>
> But I am getting neither a netcdfcpp.h nor a netcdf.hh file. I also do
> not get an ncvalues.h file.

There are two different, non-compatible C++ releases, and it looks like
you're trying to use the new netcdf4-cxx release rather than the legacy
netcdf-cxx release that has the header files for C++ programs that
depended on the old headers.  You can still get, build, and install the
legacy release, but it is no longer being maintained or supported.  See
this download site:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/

to get either of the releases.

We should probably add more description on the Download site to indicate
that the netcdf-cxx4 software, contributed by Lynton Appel, is not designed
to be backward-compatible, but provides the benefits of a modern C++
library with its use of name spaces, exceptions, and templates.  The legacy
API used none of those, and it is impractical to upgrade in a
backward-compatible
way to also provide support for the new netCDF-4 enhanced data model.

--Russ

> The build script I used is attached. Thank you.
>
> Terri Eads | IT Manager | Global Weather Corporation
> 3309 Airport Rd, Boulder, CO 80301 USA | o) 303.407.4004 | m) 303.775.0080
> address@hidden

Ticket ID: CMT-917228
Department: Support netCDF