[netCDF #CPW-270700]: compile error

Hi Bin,

> I tried to build netcdf library with support of HDF 4 files. Following the
> instruction on the webpage:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html#build_hdf4
> I got the compiling error in make check step. Here is the cotent of
> ncdump/test-suite.log:
> netCDF 4.3.2: ncdump/test-suite.log
>
> # TOTAL: 39
> # PASS:  36
> # SKIP:  0
> # XFAIL: 0
> # FAIL:  3
> # XPASS: 0
> # ERROR: 0
>
> .. contents:: :depth: 2
>
> FAIL: tst_h_scalar
> ==================
>
> HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.6) thread 0:
> #000: H5T.c line 1597 in H5Tcreate(): unable to create type
> major: Datatype
> minor: Unable to initialize object
> #001: H5T.c line 2985 in H5T_create(): type class is not appropriate - use
> H5Tcopy()
> major: Datatype
> minor: Feature is unsupported
>
> *** Create file with datasets & attributes that have scalar
> dataspaces...Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_h_scalar.c, line: 123
>
> FAIL: tst_h_scalar.sh
> =====================

You have to use a more recent version of HDF5, 1.8.8 or later, with netCDF
4.2 or later.

There was a bug in HDF5-1.8.7 that we didn't test for in the corresponding
netCDF version 4.1.3. Recent netCDF versions detect the HDF5 bug when built
with HDF5-1.8.7 or earlier, but build fine with HDF5 versions 1.8.8 and later.
If you have to rebuild HDF5 from source anyway, I would recommend just using
the latest version 1.8.13, as that's what we're testing with now.

We need to document more prominently that HDF5-1.8.7 and earlier don't work
well with current versions of the netCDF C library.

--Russ

Ticket ID: CPW-270700
Department: Support netCDF