[netCDF #MZG-331133]: Missing netcdf.mod

> Hi Russ,
>
> Thank you for your reply -
>
> I did a complete reinstall of OS 10.9. and reinstalled netcdf from ports. The
> relevant netcdf module files are now in the correct directories. However,
> when compiling, I still have the same error:
>
> ----
>
> configure:15807: checking the Fortran 90 module netcdf is available
> configure:15815: mpif90 -c -g -O2  conftest.f90
> conftest.f90:2.4:
>
> use netcdf
> 1
> Fatal Error: Can't open module file 'netcdf.mod' for reading at (1): No such
> file or directory
>
> ----
>
> The ‘conftest.f90’ file does not exist anywhere on my system, thus using the
> command line instructions you recommended did not work. The directory
> /usr/local/Cellar/netcdf/4.3.1.1/include exists, but not the conftest.f90
> file. I believe I have installed all the required packages - which package is
> directly responsible for the conftest.f90 file?

The conftest.f90 file is created temporarily by the configure script, in order
to test
characteristics of the Fortran compiler and development environment.  In this
case,
it is merely testing whether the netcdf.mod file can be located by the Fortran
compiler
(mpif90).  But the arguments to mpif90 should tell it where to look for
netcdf.mod,
with an argument like "-I/PATH/TO/NETCDF/include", where /PATH/TO/NETCDF is
where you installed the netCDF-C library.

In order to specify this location to the Fortran compiler, you need to specify
it in
the CPPFLAGS environment variable when running the netCDF Fortran configure
script, as explained here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building_netcdf_fortran.html

Note that this is not an OSX problem, but would apply to installing the netCDF
Fortran library on any Unix-like platform.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MZG-331133
Department: Support netCDF