[netCDF #ZAR-134963]: [netcdf 4.3.2] incorrect install of .def files

Hello Xan,

Thank you for the bug report; I'll correct this.  The autotools options for
Windows are old and haven't been actively maintained since we integrated the
cmake build system.  This has been more a function of limited resources than an
active decision to deprecate autotools for non-MSVC Windows builds.  I believe
(but will double check) that --enable-dll sets a flag which manages
import/export flags when building the library and dependent utilities.

Thanks again for the bug report; I'll put this in for the next release
candidate.

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> There's a problem regarding .def files installed from
> netcdf-4.3.2/Makefile.am:139, here's a snippet:
>
> install-data-hook:
> if BUILD_DLL
> cp liblib/netcdfdll.def ${prefix}/lib
> endif # BUILD_DLL
>
> First this doesn't support the DESTDIR variable for those requiring a
> relocatable install for packaging.
> Second, .def files are usually installed to ${prefix}/bin.
>
> That's why the cp line should be changed to:
> cp liblib/netcdfdll.def $(DESTDIR)${prefix}/bin
>
> Also, why require an "--enable-dll" option ? Usually autotools knows when to
> build a dll if enable-shared and if the target system is win32.
>
> Regards,
> xan.
>

> Hello,
>
> There's a problem regarding .def files installed from
> netcdf-4.3.2/Makefile.am:139, here's a snippet:
>
> install-data-hook:
> if BUILD_DLL
> cp liblib/netcdfdll.def ${prefix}/lib
> endif # BUILD_DLL
>
> First this doesn't support the DESTDIR variable for those requiring a
> relocatable install for packaging.
> Second, .def files are usually installed to ${prefix}/bin.
>
> That's why the cp line should be changed to:
> cp liblib/netcdfdll.def $(DESTDIR)${prefix}/bin
>
> Also, why require an "--enable-dll" option ? Usually autotools knows when to
> build a dll if enable-shared and if the target system is win32.
>
> Regards,
> xan.

Ticket ID: ZAR-134963
Department: Support netCDF