[netCDF #KXO-829308]: Error: Symbol 'nf_endian_big' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type

Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delay in this response.
> Your support posts have been incredibly helpful.
>
> I have been trying to install netcdf-fortran-4.4.1 on my Ubuntu linux
> system (v. 14).  I've run into many issues that I have eventually worked
> through and have written the attached list of my procedure.  I was running
> "make check" on netcdf-fortran-4.4.1 (line 39 of my procedure list),
> and ran into the following error message, which looks like an error in
> one of the fortran test codes. Or maybe the gfortran compilation flag
> is set wrong.  Do you agree?  Should I just ignore the error?

First, thanks for the helpful attachment of your
installation_procedure.txt. It's the kind of quick
list of steps that many users are looking for.

The error you are seeing seems to indicate that the "netcdf.inc"
file is not being found when you run the tests. Or maybe an older
netcdf.inc file is being found from a previous installation, for
example in /usr/include/netcdf.inc.

The netcdf.inc that cpomes with netcdf-fortran-4.4.1 has the
following statements:

      integer nf_endian_big
      parameter (nf_endian_big = 2)

which declare a type for the nf_endian_big parameter, so any
program that has the

      include 'netcdf.inc'

statement and uses the right compiler directive to tell where to
look for the .inc include file should get the type.

Maybe that information will help find the problem ...

--Russ

> Thanks,
>
> Larry Mastin
> U.S. Geological Survey
>
> *******************************************************************************************
>
> libtool: link: gfortran -I../fortran -I../fortran -g -O2 -o
> .libs/tst_f77_v2 tst_f77_v2.o  -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> ../fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.so
> /usr/local/lib/libhdf5_hl.so /usr/local/lib/libhdf5.so -ldl -lm -lz
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so -pthread
> gfortran -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../libsrc    -I../fortran
> -I../fortran -g -O2 -c -o ftst_vars.o ftst_vars.F
> ftst_vars.F:92.59:
>
> retval = nf_def_var_endian(ncid, varid, NF_ENDIAN_BIG)
> 1
> Error: Symbol 'nf_endian_big' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type
> ftst_vars.F:98.63:
>
> retval = nf_def_var_fletcher32(ncid, varid, NF_FLETCHER32)
> 1
> Error: Symbol 'nf_fletcher32' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type
> ftst_vars.F:81.48:

> Error: Function 'nf_inq_var_endian' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type
> make[2]: *** [ftst_vars.o] Error 1
>

> --
> U.S. Geological Survey
> David A. Johnston Cascades Volcano Observatory
> 1300 SE Cardinal Court, Bldg. 10, Suite 100
> Vancouver, WA 98683 USA
> tel. (360) 993-8925
> fax (360) 993-8980

Ticket ID: KXO-829308