[netCDFJava #TIC-922637]: Can't get past 'Server does not support byte ranges'

Jon,

The problem actually occurs because you are giving NetCDF-java a bad URL. In
your example code you pass the URL:

http://myserver.com/thredds/ncss/grid/CHESS2Aggregation/DetailWholeDataset.ncml/dataset.xml

This URL just points to an XML file, causing NetCDF-java to attempt to open
using an HTTP file handler, producing the error. However, what you really want
to pass (I expect) is:

http://myserver.com/thredds/ncss/grid/CHESS2Aggregation/DetailWholeDataset.ncml

I don't have access to your server to actually test, but I'd expect this URL to
give you much better results.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> I am using netCDF-java for the first time and have access to datasets on a
> Thredds server.  I have a maven project with edu.ucar.cdm 4.5.3 as a
> dependency.  I have copied one of the examples in the documentation to
> connect to one of the Thredds netCDF datasets available to me (code
> attached), but I can't get past the IOException 'Server does not support byte
> ranges'.
>
> I have found this useful mail archive:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdf-java/2013/msg00081.html,
>  which doesn't explicitly say that I should get an exception if my server
> does not support byte ranges.
>
> Since I am not an admin on the Thredds server, is there any way I can use the
> netCDF-java library to consume the netCDF datasets it makes available?  Or is
> it mandatory for the Thredds server to support byte ranges and to broadcast
> it in the header?

Ticket ID: TIC-922637
Department: Support netCDF Java