[netCDF #UBD-124546]: question on dBz

> Hi Russ,
>
> Thanks for your response of my question. Now I have two questions.
>
> 1. I checked ununits2-common.xml file for both 2.2.17 and 2.1.24 version and
> there is definition of BZ = lg(re (1e-6 m)^3) instead of dbz.

Right.

> If dBZ is not there, Should we use BZ as unit and use scaling factor of 0.1
> to make it equivalent to dBZ?

That's not necessary, "d" is a prefix understood by udunits, so "dBZ" is
already understood
by udunits as 0.1 BZ.  You can verify this by using the "udunits2" interactive
command-line
utility that comes with the udunits software installation:

  $ udunits2
  You have: dBZ
  You want: BZ
    1 dBZ = 0.1 BZ
    x/BZ = lg((1e+18*(1e-18*(pow(10, 0.1*(x/dBZ))))))

Similarly, you should be able to use any of the SI prefixes
in the udunits2-prefixes.xml file in front of BZ, such as
n, m, c, d, etc., and have it understood.

> 2. thanks for pointing me to standard_name of equivalent_reflectivity_factor.
> Does this suggests that "radar reflectivity" measurement from Lidar or NAXRAD
> should use this as standard name attribute?

Since it's in the CF standard name table, if it means what you intend,
as given in its definition there:

  "Equivalent reflectivity factor" is the radar reflectivity factor
  that is calculated from the measured radar return power assuming the
  target is composed of liquid water droplets whose diameter is less
  than one tenth of the radar wavelength, i.e., treating the droplets
  as Rayleigh scatterers. The actual radar reflectivity factor would
  depend on the size distribution and composition of the particles
  within the target volume and these are often unknown.

then I would use it as the value of the "standard_name" attribute for
your variable.  If you mean something else instead, you'll need to
apply for a new name by following the CF process described here:

  http://cfconventions.org/faq.html#stdnames_ask

Also note that "dBZ" is merely the canonical unit for variables that
have the attribute

  var:standard_name=equivalent_reflectivity_factor

You could use any compatible unit, such as BZ, or even the definition
in terms of SI units that's used in udunits2.

--Russ

Ticket ID: UBD-124546
Department: Support netCDF