[netCDF #DPC-225137]: ncdf error found during installation of Geos-chem model

Hi,

> When we give following command to build netcdf liberaries at the prompt
> in Ubuntu 14.04 on 64 bit computer system we get error massages as shown
> in the attached screenshot.
> make CLASSIC=yes GCC=yes

The above "make" command is not a documented step in building
netCDF libraries from source, so I'm not sure what you are actually
building.  To build netCDF libraries from source, you should use
these instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html

The error you are seeing:

  PASS: tst_rename
  /bin/bash: line 9: ./compare_test_files.sh: Permission denied
  FAIL: compare_test_files.sh
  1 of 3 tests failed

may be due to a failure to set the "srcdir" environment variable in
the Makefile that invokes the "compare_test_files.sh" shell script
run from "make check".  The shell script doesn't create any new
files or directories, it just compares files created during testing
with reference files that were part of the source distribution:

  cmp nctest_classic.nc $srcdir/ref_nctest_classic.nc
  cmp nctest_64bit_offset.nc $srcdir/ref_nctest_64bit_offset.nc

so if "srcdir" is not set and you don't have permission to search
the root directory "/", you would get a "Permission denied" error.

It looks like you are building version 4.2 released in May, 2012.  Could
you try using the latest release, netCDF version 4.3.2 from April 2014
instead, following the instructions from the link above?

If you still have problems, please send the "config.log" file resulting
from running the configure script.

Thanks.

--Russ

Ticket ID: DPC-225137