[netCDF #BHB-353659]: Problems with netcdf

Hi Maria,

> I am Maria Isabel, an oceanographer and I am trying to use the netcdf c
> interface to create netcdf files on Python.
>
> I installed the 4.1.1 version of netcdf4 and need to update this version. I
> tried to build and install the 4.3.3 version, but it didn't overwrite the
> older version because when I  type nc-config --all, the output is the same
> as before. I also tried to uninstall with "make uninstall" but it only
> remove the newer versions. What should I do?

For "make uninstall" to work, you would have to run it from the directory
from which the original 4.1.1 "make install" was run, or at least use the
same directory specified in the original --prefix option to create new
Makefiles with a configure script.

It might be easier to just find the directory in which the old 4.1.1 software
was installed, and specify that directory with the --prefix= argument to
the configure script when building and installing the new 4.3.3 version. You
can determine where the old software was installed by using a
"which nc-config" command in your shell.  For example:

  $ which nc-config
  /usr/local/bin/nc-config

would tell you that the old software was installed in /usr/local, so to
overwrite the old software, from the new netCDF top-level source
directory, you would need to run

  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local ... # other configure arguments
  $ make check
  $ sudo make install

where the "sudo" command is used for make install if you don't have
permissions to overwrite files in /usr/local.

If you aren't allowed to use sudo or can't overwrite the original
installation, you can choose a new installation directory where you
have write permission for the configure --prefix= option. Then
when you are done with "make install", set your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables to include the new bin/ and
lib/ directories first in the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH lists of
directories for where to find executables and libraries.

--Russ

Ticket ID: BHB-353659
Department: Support netCDF