[netCDF #BCD-901508]: Installation Failure in NETCDF 4.3.3.1

Hi Bruce,

> I am having problem installing the NETCDF 4.3.3.1 in my OS.
>
> OS version: Linux helios.local 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jun 19
> 21:14:45 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> NETCDF version: netcdf-4.3.3.1
>
> HDF version: hdf5-1.8.13
>
> zlib version: zlib-1.2.8
>
> Used the following command to install:  ./configure
> --prefix=/home/bkuo/netcdf-4.3.3.1 --disable-shared --disable-netcdf-4
>
> Attached files are the logs which you may require.

I looked at the files you sent, in particular "make_check.log", but I didn't
see any indication of a failure.  All the tests passed.  However, if you ran
"make install", you may have problems, due to specifying the same install
prefix as the directory in which you built the software from source, as
indicated by this output that appeared in the configure-output.txt you sent:

  # General
  -------
  NetCDF Version:               4.3.3.1
  Configured On:                Mon Apr  6 02:53:35 UTC 2015
  Host System:          x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  Build Directory:      /home/bkuo/netcdf-4.3.3.1
  Install Prefix:         /home/bkuo/netcdf-4.3.3.1

Our online installation instructions for building and installing version
4.3.3.1
(which appear to be more recent than what was in the INSTALL text file
included in the distribution) say:

  ... In all cases, the installation location specified with the –prefix option
must be
  different from the source directory where the software is being built.

To fix this, you would have to unpack the source distribution again and rerun
the
configure script, this time specifying a different location for where to
install the
software, such as --prefix=/usr/local .

--Russ

> Thank you