[netCDFJava #BDR-563250]: Issue reading/writing with OPENDAP

Ann,

Thanks for the detailed bug report. In order to read the dataset using opendap
support within NetcdfDataset, the URL needs to end with '.dods'. So in your
case, the URL should be:

String
inputfile="http://convection.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/prism/daily/tmin/PRISM_tmin_stable_4kmD1_20110515.nc.dods";;

(This is the same URL as the "Get Binary" button on the Opendap HTML page.)

Using this new URL, I'm able to download the data. Let me know if that's not
the case for you.

Ryan

> Hi,
>
> I have an issue trying to read and write data to netcdf using OPENDAP.
> I am not sure if the issue is at the server or in my code. If I save the
> "PRISM.....nc" in my local system and then use openFile(). The program
> runs fine.
>
> If I try to read the data using OPENDAP url and openFile(), I get
> the error:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: ucar.nc2.dods.DodsV
> cannot be cast to ucar.nc2.iosp.netcdf3.N3header$Vinfo
> at ucar.nc2.iosp.netcdf3.N3iosp.writeData(N3iosp.java:695)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFileWriter.write(NetcdfFileWriter.java:931)
> at testzone.Opendapexample.main(Opendapexample.java:66)
>
> If I try to read the data using OPENDAP url and openDataset, I get the error:
> at ucar.nc2.iosp.netcdf3.N3iosp.writeData(N3iosp.java:717)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFileWriter.write(NetcdfFileWriter.java:931)
<SNIP>

> Ann

Ticket ID: BDR-563250
Department: Support netCDF Java