[netCDF #EFR-165897]: ncgen problem

Hi Ashkan ,

> i’m trying to convert my .cdl file to .nc format using “ncgen” command
>
> I’ve tried in a macbook pro’s terminal and I got ==> “ killed 9”
> also I tried in windows and linux and I got ==> realloc : out of memory
>
> using -x or -v2 didn’t change anything.
> my file is sth around 20GB.

Do you mean your CDL file is around 20GB, or is the .nc file you want
to generate 20 GB?

Also, where did the CDL output come from, ncdump output, manual editing,
or generated by a different program?

These questions are relevant, because ncgen allocates memory for all
the values in a variable before writing them out to a netCDF file,
hence declaring a variables larger than available memory will result in
an error.

Also, the current ncgen doesn't support the "-v" option supported by the old
ncgen3. The current documentation for the ncgen 4.3.3.1 version documents
the supported options:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf_utilities_guide.html#guide_ncgen

If you have the current (4.3.3.1) version of ncgen, you could try the documented
alternative options -k format_kind or just -3, -4, -6, or -7 for netCDF-4,
netCDF-4,
64-bit-offset, or nettCDF-4 classic model, respectively.

Unfortunately, there's a bug with the "-x" option to ncgen, so it doesn't do
anything.
Here's the bug-tracking ticket on this bug, in case you'd like to monitor
progress
or request a higher prioritiy for a fix:

  https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/NCF-146

--Russ

> I searched every forum and every webpage and I got nothing ! it’s totally
> confusing .
>
> any help would be much appreciated.
>
> regards
> Ashkan Alinejad