[netCDF #IXC-822262]: PGFTN-S-0034-Syntax error at or near / (test_write.F: 167)

Hi,

> Attached it is the config.log file requested from you via Github. The related
> issue report can be viewed from:
> https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran/issues/31.

The error message from pg77, a strict Fortran-77 compiler, is correct,
because the syntax for passing array constants, "(/ 111, 222, ..., 555 /)"
to functions or subroutines did not exist in the Fortran-77 standard, so
both statements in

        err = nf_def_var(ncid, 'abc', NF_INT, 0, (/0/), vid)
        err = nf_get_var1_double(ncid, vid, (/0/), var)

are not valid Fortran-77.

A workaround would be to use pg90 instead of pg77 for compiling the
Fortran-77 API, which could be accomplished either by unsetting the
environment variable F77 before running configure (in which case the
value you have set for FC, "pgfortran", will be used to build the F77 API,
or you could explicitly set F77=pgfortran instead of F77=pg77.

An alternative, if you have some reason to want to use the pg77 compiler,
is to store the 0 value in an array and pass the array name instead of
"(/0/)" in those two function calls, but then you might run into similar
errors in other functions that would have to be fixed analogously to
conform strictly to the Fortran77 standard.

If you decide to take the latter course, we'd appreciate it if you could
create a git pull request with the changes that we could integrate into
our netcdf-fortran release, as we currently have limited resources for
supporting the netcdf-fortran library ...

Thanks!

--Russ

Ticket ID: IXC-822262
Department: Support netCDF