[netCDF #WCH-443540]: NetCDF under LabView: global variables

Hello Dr. Helfter,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with LabView and cannot find any documentation
for their API via Google.  I do know that some software packages have functions
specifically to return the value of NC_GLOBAL, or provides an equivalent.
NC_GLOBAL does have a constant value (typically defined in netcdf.h, when
working with libnetcdf directly).  This value is '-1'.  While typically it is
not recommended to use constant values in place of macros, I'm fairly certain
(but will not guarantee) that this constant will not change any time soon.

The complicating factor here is that I don't know LabView or what it has done
under the covers.  I would recommend trying `-1` and seeing if it works for
your purpose, while at the same time contacting LabView support to find out
what their official solution for global attributes is.

I hope this helps,

-Ward

> Full Name: Carole Helfter
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> Good morning,
>
> I am writing NetCDF files in LabView. So far, everything seems to
> be performing well except for the global variables which I can't
> create. LabView interacts directly with netcdf.dll and there aren't
> any other libraries involved. The stumbling block is that the attribute
> function prototypes specify a numeric variable ID and for this reason I
> can't use "NC_GLOBAL" as the pseudo-ID. Does NC_GLOBAL have a constant
> numerical value or am I missing something obvious?
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best wishes,
> Dr Carole Helfter

Ticket ID: WCH-443540