[netCDF #QEB-649105]: transformations

Hello,

The NetCDF data format doesn't have any in-place/internal data transformation
functionality similar to what you are looking for, unfortunately. You would
need software to read the data from a NetCDF file and apply the transformation.

Sorry I can't provide a more immediately helpful answer, have a great day,

Ward

> Dear support
>
> I have one question regarding netcdf4: netcdf4 provides an internal method
> to transform the parameter/ variables using a linear transformation. By
> providing a scale and offset one can transform a float into an integer,
> which clearly saves some storage
>
> This works fine for e.g. temperature which varies between 0 and say 400
>
> This works not so fine for specific humidity which has a large
> dynamical range (say 6 orders of magnitude). Can one define a variable
> transformation which is transparent to the user of the data, and will be
> applied when writing to the netcdf file and also which is automatically
> applied to the data when read?
>
> if yes could you point me to an example which educates me on the use
> of this
>
> thank you
>
> stephen
>

> Any email message from EUMETSAT is sent in good faith but shall neither
> be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by EUMETSAT,
> except where provided for in a written agreement or contract or
> if explicitly stated in the email. Please note that any views or
> opinions presented in this email are solely those of the sender and
> do not necessarily represent those of EUMETSAT. This message and any
> attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised use,
> disclosure, dissemination or distribution (in whole or in part) of
> its contents is not permitted. If you received this message in error,
> please notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Ticket ID: QEB-649105
Department: Support netCDF