[netCDF #EYX-110538]: thread-safe use of NetCDF

Hello Alex,

Currently, netCDF-C is not thread-safe; thread-safety must be handled in any
downstream library/program.  NetCDF-CXX4 and netCDF-Fortran are language
interfaces for the C library, and so the same holds true when writing software
in C++ or Fortran.

NetCDF-Java has a pure-Java implementation for reading netCDF-4, but it uses
the C library (via JNI) for writing netCDF-4 files.  We are unlikely to have a
pure-Java implementation unless the HDF group is able to provide a pure-Java
implementation of the HDF5 library.

I'm sorry I can't provide a more positive answer to you, but hopefully this
information is useful.

-Ward

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Our group, AWG AIT <http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goesr/AWG_AIT.php>
> is an active user of the NetCDF file format and libraries. We appreciate
> the capabilities that NetCDF software adds to our projects. Looking
> forward, we are very interested in multithreading. Could you please
> advise on the most current multithreading capabilities of the NetCDF
> libraries for C++, Java, FORTRAN?
>
> I have found some information with this regard on the internet
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Are-the-netCDF-libraries-thread-safe
>
> Is Java library now a pure Java implementation for NetCDF-4 for both
> reading and writing?
>
> Other websites say that NetCDF C library can be compiled and used in a
> "thread-safe" but not "thread-efficient" mode.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Alex

Ticket ID: EYX-110538
Department: Support netCDF