[netCDF #RBA-990925]: Clarification about NetCDF lib performance

Hello,

NetCDF is not natively thread-safe; youof c can use a multi-threaded
application to write netCDF data, but you would need to manage thread safety
above the netCDF layer. If you want true parallel I/O, you would need to look
at the parallel-netcdf project (for netCDF3 data model and files) or use
parallel HDF5 if you are using the netCDF4 data model and files.  The HDF5
library handles the file I/O for netCDF4 files, and if it has parallel I/O
capabilities then netCDF will use them automatically.

I hope this information helps, have a great day!

-Ward

> Hi,
>
> We are integrating the NetCDF lib to write the weather data in to
> netcdf files.
>
> We have multiple sources for which the data need to be written in separate
> files. Here, it is safe to assume that our application is receiving the
> data over network socket.
>
> Here, I would like to know the performance of netcdf lib in writing the
> data to netcdf files to design my software. Do we need to have multi
> threaded application so as to continue receiving over socket and writing
> in to file simultaneously or single threaded application should be enough?
>
> If the writing overhead is not much, single thread should work else we
> have to go for multi threaded approach.
>
> Also, are there any performance parameters available while writing to
> netcdf file?
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Suresh Panara