[netCDF #CQX-737246]: why can't netcdf4-python read grib2 format directly just like netcdf-java

Hello,

Currently, netcdf4-python cannot read grib2 files directly; the netcdf4-python
package is an interface layer for the netCDF-C library, and as such focuses
primarily on netCDF files.  You may file a request for this functionality at
the netcdf4-python project page (found here:
https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf4-python) , but you may have better luck using
a grib python API, such as pygrib (written by the author of netcdf4-python,
Jeff Whitaker).

I hope this information is helpful, I'm sorry I can't provide a more
immediately useful response.

Have a great day,

-Ward

> Dears,
>
> I am using netcdf4-python to handle my grib2 format data. I have to
> convert my data to netcdf format by using wgrib2 from:
>
> http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/
> But
>
> some global attributes are missing and this is not acceptable. I have
> written some mails with the author of wgrib2. Then I realized that
> netcdf-java from:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/
> can
>
> read grib2 format data and handle it as netcdf format file directly.
>
> Does netcdf4-python have similar API? If not, can you add the grib2
> format support?
>
> dwSun

Ticket ID: CQX-737246
Department: Support netCDF