[netCDF #XFU-348887]: AWIPS netcdf to ArcGIS

Hello Adrienne,

I'm able to confirm that the file you've provided is a proper netCDF file, via
the command line tools.  So we can rule out any sort of issue related to file
corruption.  Looking at the data therein, it appears to be the sort of data you
would lend itself to visualization.  We don't provide any visualization tools
as part of the netCDF library, and I am surprised to hear that there is a
problem with ArcGIS.  Have you contacted ArcGIS support to see if their
software requires any preprocessing of the data before displaying it?  Also,
when you say it is displaying incorrectly, what exactly is happening? Is the
data just 'wrong', or does it perhaps look like it is correct but displayed
incorrectly (an axis transformation, incorrect geometry, etc)?

I'm sorry I can't provide a more immediately useful answer, but ArcGIS support
may be your best bet at this point as they will know more about the
visualization process.  From the data perspective, there is nothing obviously
wrong with your netCDF file.

Have a great day,

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I am a novice with netCDF files, and need some assistance.  I extracted
> a gridded GFE file from AWIPS II via the ifpnetCDF script and now have
> it on my pc (also attached).  I am trying to display the data in ArcGIS,
> but it does not display correctly so I'm assuming that some additional
> processing of some sort must be done first.  I've also tried a few
> different tools to assist with the display of the data, such as IDV and
> Panoply, but I can't seem to get anything to work to display the data
> correctly.  Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thank you & regards,
>
> --
> Adrienne Leptich
> Meteorologist, NWS New York, NY
> OKX Technology Team Leader
> OKX Verification Team Leader
> NOAA Rotational Assignment Program - IDP GIS
>
> www.weather.gov/nyc
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSNewYorkNY
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY - @NWSNewYorkNY

Ticket ID: XFU-348887