[netCDF #ZEO-928138]: NetCDF library is not recognizing HDF5 datasets

For future reference, there is no need to create another support item.
Even though it is closed, it you reply to the previous one, it will reopen
it (we need to make that clear to support users -- our bad).

If I understand correctly, you are going outside of matlab to add
a vlen variable to an existing netcdf file, and you are adding
this variable using calls to the HDF5 c/c++ interface.
This is a difficult task because netcdf makes assumptions about
netcdf files by adding extra information about some variables.
If you create the variable in a way that differs from what netcdf
expects, then it will (most likely) not work.

Is there some specific reason you need to create the vlen variable using HDF5?
Have you tried using the standard netcdf C or C++ interface to create that
variable?
=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: ZEO-928138