19990212: mcidas at stc

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>Thanks for the organized reply on how we should continue.
>Just a few comments/questions at this point.
>
>>there are a few manual steps that need to be done.  First, you need
>>to get gcc for SOlaris 7.  You can get this from http://www.sunfreeware.com
>>and install it using pkgadd (same place you can get perl).
>
>is pkgadd something already present in solaris 7 ?

Yes, it is a system command for adding new software.

>>Also, you have to make sure that when you installed Solaris, you
>>installed the development environment.  During the installation, you
>>were given options for what to install.  If you installed only
>>the minimum, then you need to reinstall and also install the
>>development environment.  If you installed everything, you should
>>be okay.
>
>I am not sure if we installed the development environ.  My student worker
>did the install, and I did not give him instructions about this.  We will
>snoop around and see if we can confirm if it is there.

As root, run the command admintool.  In the Browse menu, select Software.
When the list comes up, see what the first line says.  If it says
End User System Support, then you did not install the development
environment.  Another way to check would be to go to the /usr/lib
and /usr/include directories and see if they have a lot of items or
just a few (especially include).  If there is very little in these
directories, then you did not install the development stuff.

>>Did you get your network stuff straightened out after Mike's message?
>
>Network stuff is not resolved yet.  I made the changes Mike suggested,
>but wonder if I have to sighup the right process to get it to note
>the 'answerbook' documentation stuff working, so we are looking.

Solaris 2.6 on what they had to do after installation to get the network
running:

>>Make sure to add one line to the /etc/defaultrouter file.  The entry
>>should just be the IP number of the router (for us it is 208.193.25.1).
>>Note that the defaultrouter file did not exist on my system so we created
>>it from scratch.
>>
>>Next, make sure /etc/hosts looks something like this
>>
>>127.0.0.1  localhost
>>208.193.25.5  weather loghost
>>208.193.25.1  router

Change weather to the hostname of your system (fully qualified name).

>>Note that I think the first two lines were in the file and we had to add
>>the third.
>>
>>Next, look at /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>>It should look like this
>>
>>domain  taft.pvt.k12.ct.us
>>nameserver 198.6.1.1
>>nameserver 198.6.1.2

Use your domain (stcloudstate.edu?) instead of taft...

>>I think we had to add all of the above, but we definitely had to add the
>>last two lines.  The two nameserver IP number are just the numbers of the
>>DNS machines of our internet provider UUnet.  You could add a third if you
>>want, but two should do.
>>
>>Next, look at /etc/nsswitch.conf
>>
>>This file should already exist.  Go down the list and where it shows
>>
>>hosts:  files
>>
>>change that line by adding "dns" so that the line now reads
>>
>>hosts:  files dns

>do you have suggestions on what is most useful?   I know we will have
>to spend some money, but at least some hard copy would be useful.

I don't think so.  I think we use the CD-ROM stuff.

Let us know when you get the machine on the network and the name of the
machine.  If you provide us a login (user ldm is fine) we can look
around.

Don Murray