19990308: solarisfor intel on our pc

>From: address@hidden

Hi Alan-

>I am taking your suggestion of reinstalling solaris on our pc so as to
>avoid the file system problems we had initially, besides, I need the
>practice and humiliation that this involves.

Yup, it is a humbling experience.  Tom could tell you all kinds of
stories about how he has been trying to get NT, Solaris and Linux
on one system.   Right now it is the most expensive system Unidata
owns - all due to the time he and others have spent getting it working.

>I started on Sat. ( I think, could have been Fri.) and also became frustrated
>yesterday (Sun).  I am on my second go around today, and think I may have
>discovered my earlier mistake, but it is still whirring away so don't know.
>
>Have selected a complete install (entire package) and designated the
>file systems as just root and swap, with about 600 MB in swap, balance
>in root.  On earlier attempts, (not the last or current) I would come back
>to the machine and find the message
>
>       could not install boot blocks
>       dd: /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2: open: no such dev or address
>
>I remembered that in setting up the disk, that I zeroed out the term
>overlap which was in the 3rd slot from the top, making it s2 and that
>this had a size equal to the entire disk.  I don't know what overlap
>means, seems like it was referred to as backup in the partition tables
>that you sent in one of your messages.  Anyway, I left the overlap
>item alone in the last try.  Now to see if the message goes away.

Yes, you need the overlap.  Let us know if the message does not go away.

>Also, even after going in and configuring the network stuff, according
>to your and Mike's directions, I have had trouble getting a connection.
>
>The machine now is named waldo .  Only question I have is for the etc/hosts
>file.  I know I need to start the line with the ip #, then the host name
>but should it be waldo.stcloudstate.edu  or just waldo.

You should have an entry like:

199.17.31.240  waldo.stcloudstate.edu  waldo

this will identify the system as waldo.stcloudstate.edu and as an
alias of waldo.

>In the past, when I have tried to use the online doc. in answerbook,
>it says I can list the source as http://hostname:8888.  When I did
>this it would tell me:  can't make the connection, the host waldo
>is unknown. I don't know why it would not know who waldo was.

It could be due to a missing alias in the hosts file.

>So, we are having our first sig. snow event since early Jan.  We are on
>break here, but this kind of an exercise (with solaris) on partly qualifies.

Well, it keeps you off the streets and out of trouble, eh?  The storm
was supposed to give us snow, but fizzled here before moving to the
plains.  Looks like the next one will fizzle also.  We've gotten
very little snow in Boulder this year.

>Let me know what you think my errors might be.

I think if you redid the disk partition and kept the overlap, you'd
be okay. Try adding the line above to the hosts file and see where
that gets you.

Don