19990427: PC platforms for running Unidata applications (cont.)

>From: Deborah Luchsinger <address@hidden>

Debby,

>I have been having a great deal of fun playing with configurations - now
>I am waiting on the educational pricing information to come back.  At
>this point, I confess to being partial to a Dell system - the ability to
>get the Linux operating system bundled is very attractive.

I agree.  Not having to fight the installation process eliminates some
of the hassle.  At the same time, speaking as an erstwhile system
administrator, it does make your system a little more mysterious.

>Thus far, I have been working with the following configuration:
>
>GX1p/M+: 450MHz Pentium® II processor, 512K cache, integrated NIC
>45GX1PG - [460-5228]

I don't know what networking card/interface this is.  I assume that it
is supported by Linux since you indicate that Dell will ship the machine
with it loaded.

>Memory (1st RAM Slot):   256MB ECC SDRAM (1DIMM)
>Additional Memory (2nd RAM Slot): 128MB ECC SDRAM (1DIMM)
>Additional Memory (3rd RAM Slot): 128MB ECC SDRAM (1 DIMM)

So, you are going for 500 MB of RAM.  This is an area that, if pushed,
you could cut down on.  I say this with reluctance since my motto is
you can never have too much RAM or disk.

>1st Hard Drive:   9.1 GB Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive w/Ctrl & UW Cable (10,000rpm)
>2nd Hard Drive:   10GB Ultra ATA EIDE Hard Drive (7200rpm)

Hmm...  Mixing and matching hard drives.  The question is whether or not
the SCSI controller is built into the motherboard.  If not (i.e. if
SCSI capability is provided by an interface card), then you might consider
going with two Ultra ATA hard drives.  This would, I believe save you some
money.  Don't get me wrong on this one: we firmly believe that SCSI drives
handle heavy load conditions a lot better than non-SCSI drives.

>Graphics Card Upgrade:  STB nVIDIA TNT 16MB PCI Graphics Card

Make sure that it is supported.  This card will give you expandability
in the future.  Right now, McIDAS and GEMPAK are really 8-bit (i.e. 256
color) applications.  McIDAS can run on systems with greater than 8-bit
visuals, but it is a little slower.

>Keyboard:   Performance Keyboard
>Monitor:    Dell M1110 21" Monitor (20" VIS)

You could save by getting a 19" monitor.  For personal use, I have been
looking at the Sony CPD420GS monitor.  This 19" monitor sports a
Trinitron picture tube and 0.25 dot pitch.  I already have a Sony
17" (CPD220GS) monitor and the text and graphics are nice and crisp.
I have been partial to monitors with Trinitron picture tubes for quite
awhile.  BTW, Sony is not the only vendor that sells monitors with
Sony Trinitron picture tubes, so you might be able to save money by
buying a non-Sony monitor.

>PCMCIA Reader:   5.25" PCMCIA Reader

What is this?

>Floppy Drive:   1.44MB Floppy Drive

Necessary!

>Operating System:  Microsoft Windows NT 4, SP3 with CD using FAT 16
>    LINUX - Custom Request

So, does this indicate that you get a machine with Linux loaded?  If so,
what Linux?  I assume RedHat 5.x since Dell has entered into an agreement
with RedHat, but I would be careful to make sure.

>Mouse:    Microsoft Intellimouse

You will need a 3-button mouse.  The Microsoft Intellimouse is not a
true 3-button mouse.  You may want to specify a Logitec 3-button
mouse with PS/2 connector.

>Network Card:   3C Fast E-Link XL10/100TX WuOL

So, what is the built in NIC mentioned above?

>Modem:    Aztech Rockwell Data/Fax 56K v.90 PCI Winmodem

Do you need a modem?  This modem is a Windows modem.  It will not work
in any other operating system (except DOS) since processing is offloaded
from the card to the machine's CPU.

>CD-ROM:   40X IDE CD-ROM

Standard fare.

>Sound Card:   Turtle Beach Montego A3D 64 - Voice PCI Audio Card
>Speakers:   Altec Lansing ACS295 Speakers

Do you need sound?  This should be cheap anyway.

>Documentation:   Reduced Documentation
>Zip Drives:   Iomega Zip Drive for Windows NT for use w/CD-Drive (100MB)

The Zip drive will be handy for partial backups.  Partial since it only
holds 100 MB.

>Chassis Stand:   M Chassis Stand
>Riser:    5 Slot Riser, Active
>Standard and Business Critical Services: Standard 3-Yr Next Business Day
>On-Site Service
>Installation Services:  Comprehensive Installation
>Readyware:   Readyware Fee
>Power Protection:   APC Back UPS Office

Power protection is good.  I'm glad to see that you picked it.

>Could you tell me what features I may be missing here,

I don't believe that you are missing anything.

>or point out items I may not need?

My comments were mixed in with the text above.

>As I said before, my goal is to have two
>identical systems in the Climate Lab - one for data ingestion and maps,
>and one for analysis.

If you can get two of the above for a total of $6000 (your budget, correct?)
you will be in "fat city".

>It will be so exciting to actually have McIDAS up
>and running again! ;-)

I think that you will also want to be using GEMPAK/GARP/N-AWIPS.  We have
found that sites doing undergraduate education _love_ GARP (a GUI to
GEMPAK) since it is so easy to use.

Tom
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <