19990503: PC platforms for running Unidata applications (cont.)

>From: Deborah Luchsinger <address@hidden>

Debby,

>I need to ask your opinion once again....I think I have the
>configuration issues worked out, although I will send you a copy of the
>final configuration to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

OK.

>HOWEVER,
>I am faced with having to purchase two smaller systems, or one
>mega-monster system with tons of disk space and memory.  With only one
>system, I would be doing data ingestion/map generation/analysis all on
>one system.  If you had to choose, which way would you go?  Two smaller
>systems or one big powerful one?

I can't answer this one without having some idea by what is meant by
both a "mega monster" and a "smaller system".

>I tend to lean towards the single
>system, but would greatly appreciate your input.

One of our sites has found that a 400 Mhz (or is it a 450 Mhz?) system
can easily handle the LDM, ldm-mcidas, XCD, and GEMPAK decoders in
addition to hosting a web server, running interactive sessions and
providing a McIDAS ADDE remote server.  I believe that the user said
that the system just keeps humming along.

>Also, you mentioned using GEMPAK/GARP/N-AWIPS.  This sounds like a good
>idea, but I need some guidance on how to acquire this software.

We need to get DU licensed for GEMPAK.  I _think_ that I can get everything
rolling from here, but it wouldn't hurt for you to fill out the licensing
form that I have attached below.

>Thanks Tom!

I look forward to getting a quick overview of the "monster" and "smaller"
machines that you mention above so I can give you my feedback on their
usefulness.  At the same time, if you could update the licensing information
sheet it would be very helpful.

BTW, I have filled out as much of the licensing form as I could.  The
contract officer name that I included is the person who signed the
license agreement for McIDAS in 1992.

Unidata Product Licensing Form:  930223
=======================================

NOTE: This form must be returned to "address@hidden". It does
      not constitute the license, only gathers information to start the
      license process.

Institution:                 University of Denver
Department:                  Department of Geography
Contact name:                Deborah Anne Luchsinger
Mailing address:             Boettcher Center West, Office 111
                             Denver, Colorado   80208
Phone number(s):             303.871.4205
Email address:               email: address@hidden

Contract officer:            Dr. James Griesemer
                             Vice Chancellor-Financial Affairs
Mailing Address:             University of Denver
                             Denver, Colorado   80208
Phone number(s):
Email address:

Product(s) & Rev #(s):       add GEMPAK to existing McIDAS license
Machine Manufacturer, Model: PC

*-> package of preference