1999730: NOAA-HPCC FY2000 draft proposal (comments cont.)

>From: address@hidden (Chris Elvidge)

Chris,

>>Sun Solaris x86 (aka Solaris for Intel).  We are running this OS on
>>dual 550 Mhz machines.  The latest one we configured has 0.5 GB of RAM
>>and 72 GB of Ultra wide SCSI hard disk.  We will be investigating use
>>of RAID software/hardware to see how much of an improvement this makes
>>in the disk access area.  The base machine above comes with two 18 GB
>>hard disks (again, ultra wide SCSI).  It cost us just over $5000 and
>>included a 21" monitor and 10/100 Mbit ethernet, CD-ROM, etc.  It seems
>>to me that you could get multiple muscle PCs for the $46K that you
>>included in your budget.
>
>Yow!  Which manufacturer / model is the machine?

I must first say that I _believe_ (but don't know for sure) that dual
processor machines are pretty common and, therefore, cheap.  Quad processor
machines are probably a lot more expensive since the motherboards are not
nearly so prelevant.  But, then again, one could buy 4 dual processor
machines for one of those quad processor machines that you list in your
budget.

The machines we got came configured as:

 1 x Gigabyte 440BX (GA-6BXDS) dual CPU, dual U2W SCSI
 1 x Pentium III heat sink/cooling
 1 x Irwin Full tower ATX case w/230W power supply and fan
 1 x Fujitsu 8725 104 key keyboard
 1 x Sony 1.44 MPF-520 floppy drive
 1 x Acer/Logitech 1st mouse plus PS/2 mouse
 1 x 3COM 3C905 PCI 10/100 baseT network card
 1 x ATI Xpert @ Play 8MB AGP
 1 x Toshiba 40X CDrom drive
 1 x KDS 21" color .26 dot pitch monitor (3 Yr warranty)
 2 x Intel Pentium III 550 MHz CPU
 2 x Wide SCSI removable hard drive kit
 2 x IBM 18.2 GB U2W SCSI hard drive
 2 x 256 MB SD32x64 PC100 SDRAM
 2 x One year additional warranty support
 1 x Configuration charge
 1 x No operating system

We specified the following requirements:

 - Hardware must support Sun Solaris 2.7, RedHat Linux 6.0, and Windows NT 4.0
 - System must include all spare parts from assembly

The total cost per system is $5,423.  See attached quote from AMEC.

The vendor is:

Asiahaus Micro-Electronics Corp.
6351 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA  92121