19990825: Linux question from Univ. of No. Iowa

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>       Hello.  Hope you had a good summer.
>We started classes on Monday.
>       I found Findeisen's screen blank
>this afternoon; I had Drew come over and take
>a look at it for me.  I don't understand what
>he said but he told me that the kernel (sp?)
>won't boot;  we get an "oops" (?) message.
>What he'd like to do is upgrade to Red Hat 6.0
>with kernel version 2.2.  Before he does that, he
>wanted me to check with you to see if that would
>cause any problems with how GEMPAK, etc. are
>currently configured.  Thanks for your help.

Our recommendation is to NOT upgrade to RedHat 6.0 at this time.  We
have run into problems building GEMPAK and McIDAS on this platform that
we have not yet solved.  If you upgrade to 6.0, then you will be
without Unidata software for an undetermined amount of time.  If you
reload 5.2, then you can get back up and running quickly.

Tom Yoksas