19991011: McIDAS ADDE dial-up PPP and Solaris 7 internal modem (cont.)

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

Thanks for the information on how you setup your modem.  It sounds like
this is just what I need to do since my modem is pretty much the same as
yours.  I will give this one a try as soon as I have finished the upgrade
of Linux to 6.0.  After working in 6.0 on our laptop, I decided that I
like it!  The only thing that is stopping me is the fact that RedHat
just released 6.1!!

>A while back we talked about configuring Solaris bundled asppp
>to work with an internal modem.  I now have it working on our
>family PC at home (did it tonight).  I have a Gateway Pentium Pro 180
>with 160MB of RAM (preparing for McIDAS/GEMPAK).  It has a Gateway
>Telepath 33.6 modem which I believe is the same as a US Robotics.
>It was originally PnP, but I set it to COM 1 when I went to NT from
>Win 95 3 years ago.  Solaris is on a second hard drive.  COM 1
>is (obviously) disabled on the motherboard and Solaris did not
>see the modem, so when the Configuration assistant was running I went
>to Device Tasks and added a serial port on 3f8, IRQ4. After it booted
>I ran admintool and changed ttya to be a 33840 dial out only modem.
>
>I then followed the setup procedures from the following:
>
>http://www.kempston.net/solaris/connectanyisp.html
>
>The following has a special gotcha for internal modems which
>I followed.
>
>http://www.riddleware.com/solx86/internal-modems.html
>
>My ISP (Southwestern Bell) has a Unix machine on the other
>end and does not use PAP or CHAP so the script was easy.
>It is working fine.  I plan to burn a CD with the McIDAS source code
>(and gcc, other needed stuff) and the GEMPAK binary (unless it will
>build under Solaris x86 with gcc now).  I will then be all set up.
>
>Hope this helps you out.

It most likely will.  Again, thanks for the information.

>Robert Mullenax

Tom