20000413: Platform for running McIDAS-X

>From: Stephen Millican Saleeby <address@hidden>

Steve,

>I'm Steve Saleeby from NC State University. Dr. Steve Koch and I are
>planning to install McIDAS X this summer in the Atmospheric Science
>Dept. and we are in the process of purchasing a Sun Ultra 10 workstation
>to run McIDAS.

OK.  Let me know when you are ready to grab the distribution, so I can
give you the package access information (if needed).

>I read the minimum system requirements but was curious to
>ask if you think it would be advantageous to: 1) have 512MB DRAM
>vs. 256MB, and 2) Sun Elite 3D m6 graphics vs. Creator 3D graphics. I
>would appreciate any feedback you could give me concerning this.

These are not needed for McIDAS as it presently stands.  However, I
would recommend the more robust configuration for new things like our
Java applications that will be coming down the pipe in the not too
distant future.

>Thanks so much!

You are welcome.

>Sincerely,