20000609: Advice on USF computer order (cont.)

>From: "Laing, Arlene" <address@hidden>

Arlene,

>We've got funds from two grants that will allow us to order a server (with
>archive and online storage) and ten workstations.  Your advice on the
>specifications would be really appreciated.  I would like to fax you the
>specs from DELL.  Could you please send me your fax number?

Here's a few comments from our system administrator:

In general, I suggest getting the biggest monitor and the most memory
you can afford.

Thoughts on the OptiPlex;
 - move up to a 19" monitor if possible
 - a 4MB video card will limit 24 bit displays to 1024x768 resolution
   more video ram (8MB) would be desireable and cheap if available

Thoughts on the PowerEdge;
 - unless you really want to buy redundancy and expandability, buying
   into PowerEdge costs a lot more money.  Since parts are out-of-date
   within two years (these days), the expandability won't last long.

I'm in the midst of getting a new quote on a system here, but for about
$5300, here's what I can get:

Base System:  Dual Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz Coppermine CPU w/256 KB Cache
                ASUS P2BDS Dual CPU SCSI ATX BX AGP Motherboard
                Single Edge Connector Pentium II Slots
              One AGP, Four PCI and Two ISA expansion slots
              (2) 16550 serial ports and (1) hight-speed parallel port
              AGP Video Support and Two Stacked USB Connectors
              Integrated PCI Ultra DMA Hard/Floppy Drive Controller
              Teac 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
              Qty 2 - High-end ball-bearing CPU Fan
              Enlight 8902 Full Tower Case with 300 Watt UL LIsted Power Supply

Memory:       1 GB SDRAM

Hard Drive:   Qty 2 - 36 GB IBM 10,000 rpm U2W SCSI hard drive w/2 MB Cache

Controller:   On-board Adaptec Ultra 2 Wide Chipset
              On-board Bus Mastering Ultra DMA IdE controller supporting 4
                devices

Monitor:      none

Video Card:   8 MB ATI Xpert 98 ABP 2x video accelerator

Multimedia:   Creative Labs 52X IDE CD-ROM

Network:      3Com 905B-TX PCI network adapter with driver software

I/O:          Keytronics PS2 Windows 95 keyboard
              Logitech 3-button PS2 mouse

Warranty      Technical Reference and Manuals
and Support:  Lifetime Toll-Free technical support
              24 hours of testing
              3 year Parts and Depot Labor Warranty

Price:        Approx. $5,300

this doesn't have the hardware RAID card like the PowerEdge configuration,
but those aren't to much money.  The unfortunate part is that I don't have a
good turnkey vendor to recommend for a Linux system as we do all the
software work in-house.  Others within NCAR use http://www.tdl.com/~netex/

Over a year ago we sent you what was then a pretty high end machine
(dual 450 Mhz processors; multiple 9 GB Ultra SCSI 2 disks; etc), but
times have changed.  If you compare the system listed above with the
one that Dell is quoting you, the only advantages that the Dell system has
are:

o large case for expandability:  Note, however, that if you want to add
  more disks, you will have to purchase additional 9 GB drives OR replace
  all of the disks.  The reason for this is that hardware raid systems
  typically require all disks to be identical.

o redundant power supplies - do you really need this?

o possibly the Xeon processor - this is not necessarily a big advantage for
  the Dell

o tape backup

o read/write CDROM

o on-site support

Advantages the system we listed above has:

o more RAM: 1 GB vs 512 MB

o more and better disk: 2x36 GB 10,000 rpm IBM vs 4x9 GB 7,200 rpm (manufacturer
  unknown).  We have found that IBM disks "take a licking and keep on ticking"

o faster CPUs

o cheaper

You could upgrade to a r/w CDROM for about $200.  You could upgrade to
an 8-bay redundant power supply case for about $200.  You could add a tape
backup system for about $700.  These additions bring our representative
system up to $6400 which is about the same as yours.

I want to add, however, that we don't think that you would be making a
huge mistake by buying the PowerEdge system.  We just wanted to point
out that you could get a more robust system for the same price if you
go elsewhere.  We realize that Dell is giving you a deal on this
configuration, but...

As for the smaller machine(s): the quote doesn't look too bad, but we
would recommend getting 19" monitors and, if possible, non-wheel mice
(the wheel mouse is a pain to use as the middle mouse button in Unix/Linux).

I hope that this helps...

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Jun  9 12:23:42 2000
>Subject: RE: 20000609: Advice on USF computer order (cont.)

Hi Tom:

Thanks for your advice.  I met with our college computing guy yesterday and
he had some of the same recommendations.  We are working on getting the
equivalent specs for a Dell server.

Arlene