Re: 20000913: solaris 8 at stc (cont.)

Alan,

On Sep 21,  8:02pm, alan anderson wrote:
> Subject: Re: 20000913: solaris 8 at stc (cont.)

> So, I think my first choice would be your suggestion of moving the current
> root fs into /space.  My questions are
>
>   a) can /space then be renamed  to  /  (root), or does this happen
>      automatically.  I will read some more but did not see anything
>      about moving a file system.

This would require a modification of /etc/vfstab after it was copied to
the new partition.

>   b) what command(s) are used,  mv  cp  or will a complete process
>      be in my docs.  Again, I don't think I have seen it.
>      To do this, I am guessing I have to leave both  /   and /space
>      mounted.

Sun's versions of dump and restore (ufsdump/ufsrestore) is what I
recommend.  Here's a rough procedure to follow (from my failing memory).
If this is wrong, we'll still be OK since the original OS is not going
to be corrupted or removed;

- cd /
- umount /space
- newfs -i 8192 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
- fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
- mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
- cd /mnt
- ufsdump 0f - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 | ufsrestore rf -   (will take 1-2 hours)
- rm restoresymtable
- edit /mnt/etc/vfstab (change c0t0d0s7 to c0t0d0s0 and vise-versa throughout)
   note each occurs twice per line
- cd /
- umount /mnt
- fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
- installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
- sync
- halt

at the eeprom prompt type

- setenv boot-device disk:a
- setenv diag-device disk:a
- reset

at which time the machine should reset and boot on the newly copied
verison of the OS.  Type "df -kl" to verify the partition sizes.

mike