20010717: Red Hat Linux 7.1

>From: Wayne Bresky <address@hidden>

Wayne,

>I see that Mcidas-X has been tested under RH Linux 7.x and at least one known
>problem exists.

Yes. It turns out that the problem seen with McIDAS was actually
introduced in the RedHat 6.0 distribution (Linux kernel 2.0.x to 2.1.x
upgrade).  I have recently been able to verify that the same problem
exists on current Debian and Slackware distributions of Linux.  This
was not suprising after we learned that the problem is related to the
kernel.

>Can you tell me whether the LDM and Gempak packages run
>on this platform?

Yes.  In fact, we will be using RedHat 7.1 as the platform for all of
our upcoming workshops: GEMPAK, LDM, and McIDAS.

>I did not see it in the supported platforms list.  Thanks in
>advance.

I am sure that Chiz will update his GEMPAK pages once he gets the
release he is working on tidied up.  We will also be upgrading the
general supported platform page after the workshops are over.

One last thing, you should run the latest version of the LDM (build
from source) if you are going to move to current versions of Linux.

Finally (and this is more for the archive than for you specifically),
one should also become very familiar with security patches and apply
them as soon as they become available and turn off any services that
are not needed.

Tom Yoksas