20011025: OS support in Unidata (cont.)

>From: "Robert Mullenax" <address@hidden>

Robert,

re: Suns not going away
>That is very useful.  I still have real heartburn about Linux,
>so that is good to hear.  I think the real option is to stick
>with UltraSPARCS, and maybe get a Sun Blade 100 for our workstation
>in New Mexico and use the Solaris x86 box as the server.  I am still
>going to get back into the Linux game with a development box
>and at least start checking it out again.  RH 6.2 was my last
>venture.  I'll probably go with Slackware.

For reference, Unidata supports RedHat Linux distributions and no
other.  The current release of RedHat Linux is now 7.2.

>BTW, how will MetApps work as far as data goes.  If GEMPAK
>and McIDAS will no longer be supported by Unidata after MetApps
>are operational, what will produce the data for MetApps to use?

McIDAS ADDE and DODS are two of the primary sources of data for Metapps
applications.  We don't see McIDAS support going away for some time at
least on the data server side.

I believe that I said in an earlier email that we will continue
to support our current applications as long as our user community
demands that we do.  Given that, and given the maturity and ease
of use of the GEMPAK GUIs (GARP and NMAP), and given that NMAP
is slated to become an AWIPS baseline application, I wouldn't
jump to hasty conclusions on when support for GEMPAK will go away.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Oct 25 21:31:47 2001
>Subject: Re: 20011025: OS support in Unidata (cont.)

>For reference, Unidata supports RedHat Linux distributions and no
>other.  The current release of RedHat Linux is now 7.2.

Hmm, kind of forgot about that.  Well Slackware for playing
around with and RH for Unidata stuff.

> >BTW, how will MetApps work as far as data goes.  If GEMPAK
> >and McIDAS will no longer be supported by Unidata after MetApps
> >are operational, what will produce the data for MetApps to use?
>
>McIDAS ADDE and DODS are two of the primary sources of data for Metapps
>applications.  We don't see McIDAS support going away for some time at
>least on the data server side.
I think MetApps will have a lot of the imagery display
capabilities as McIDAS, and already does in many respects.
isn't that correct?   If I ever get some time I'd like
to get them and take them for a test drive, but as I related
at the MUG meeting I already have a lot on my plate.

>I believe that I said in an earlier email that we will continue
>to support our current applications as long as our user community
>demands that we do.  Given that, and given the maturity and ease
>of use of the GEMPAK GUIs (GARP and NMAP), and given that NMAP
>is slated to become an AWIPS baseline application, I wouldn't
>jump to hasty conclusions on when support for GEMPAK will go away.

I remember that now, but I suppose misunderstood what was said
about MetApps when I was at the GEMPAK training session.  That's
not surprising as I can't seem to hear very well these days.

Thanks,
Robert