20020619: Considering windows 2000

>From: BRIAN JOSEPH LEPORE <address@hidden>

Brian,

>I am entering into a research project which will involve NetCDF data.
>I am more comfortable with MS Windows 2000 than Linux, or other OSs,
>and am considering using it.  Are there any major drawbacks to using
>Windows 2000?  Are there any major advantages to Linux?
>thanks for any help you might offer.

Unidata has almost always been an exclusively "Unix" shop.  Most of
our software does not run in native mode under Windows.  That being
said, our new Java offerings, MetApps, runs best under Windows since
the JVM for Windows is the best of all platforms.  Also, some users
are now finding that they can run VMWare on their Windows boxes and
end up with both Windows and Linux, sort of the best of both worlds.
By the way, VMWare can run under Linux and support Windows.

As far as using one box with one OS for our offerings, Linux is better
for our users than Windows.  Also, Linux is built on open source
code, so it is easier to port things to.

I hope that this was useful...

>regards,
>Brian Lepore

Tom Yoksas