20020620: IDD ingestion machine (cont.)

>From: Lodovica Illari <address@hidden>

Lodovica,

>thank you very much for your comments, I have passed them to our system
>manager. My only questions at this point are related to Solaris vs Linux
>for the ingestion:
>
>.Do you envisage any problem with GEMPAK?

I do not forsee any problem with GEMPAK.

>Do we need two version of
>GEMPAK(Solaris and Linux) running on different platforms and how
>compatible they are?

You will, of course, need two different sets of executables since
Linux executables will not run on Solaris x86 and visa versa.  I
don't see any problems with compatibility of the data files produced
by either.

>. Do you think that Linux is going to get better?

Ah... now we are into the realm of peering into the crystal ball :-)
To answer your question, I would hope that Linux will get better.

>I could keep the
>ingestion running on the Alpha until they disappear (1 or 2 years max)
>and then review the situation or is it worth shifting to Solaris now?

Well, if you have something that works now and is giving you no problems,
why change?

For reference, some of us here at Unidata are not huge Linux fans.  We
have exposed lots of warts in Linux over the years, and see that Linux
is a hackers paradise.  In the not too distant future, we will be
experimenting with use of FreeBSD as an IDD platform.  My experience
with FreeBSD (garnered by working on one of our sites machines) is
that it is:

o much faster on the same hardware than Linux
o more secure than Linux

Given the backing that Linux appears to be getting from a variety of
different sectors, things may change.  My responses were directed
specifically to your original inquiry assuming that you wanted/needed
to make a change now.  Changing the timeframe for your query may well
change my answer (kind of like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle) ;-)