20030825: SuSE Linux ?

>From: address@hidden

Hi Tony,

>It has been suggested that I use SuSE Linux on my new server and workstations.
>Are there LDM and Gempak/GARP binaries built to run under this O/S?

There are no LDM-6 binaries for any system.  Chiz builds GEMPAK binaries
for RedHat Linux.

>Any comments, experience, suggestions with it?

I recently ran into a very strange 'make' problem on Lyndon State's SuSE
9.0 Linux box; it was not adding all McIDAS object files to a library
for some unknown reason resulting in link failures of McIDAS executables.
The exact same code works with no problems on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, and 9.0
Linux.  One thing you can say is that different flavors of Linux are
enough different from one another to cause problems in the most unexpected
areas.

>I don't see references to specific types of Linux in the Unidata online
>documents or downloads instructions, so I thought I'd ask.

Our stated policy is that we support RedHat Linux.  Exactly where this
policy is in our web pages I can't say off of the top of my head
right now (sigh), but as of right now, that is our policy.

>Thanks,

No worries.

Tom