20031113: What to do regarding RedHat Linux support (cont.)

http://www.redhat.com/

>> >So I went to Mandrake's site last night. Looks great, but I fear they may
>> >go into the direction of RedHat. Then what? Do I play a game of reformat
>> >the hard drive every 6 months?
>>
>> Good question.
>
>Yep. So...
>
>> Many folks are running Debian and liking it.
>
>I know. But, how hard is it to manage?

Since we don't run Debian, this is a question better asked of the community.

>> >So I stare at my box, wondering what to do. Mandrake seems cool. But Dave
>> >Bukowski runs Debian at COD with no problems, but it seems to be difficult
>> >to set up and manage (unless that has changed).
>>
>> Fedora?
>
>I don't know. I'm asking. :-)

Since we don't have an official policy on what to do vis-a-vis RedHat
Linux, we can not tell you exactly what to do.

>> We do not have an "official" policy at this time.  Given your experience
>> with RedHat Linux, I would recommend trying out Fedora.
>
>The only reason why I am not jumping up and down about it is that security
>holes may take months to fix. I'm not happy about that.
>
>> >If I am going to another Linux flavor, I might as well do it out of the
>> >box!
>>
>> I agree.  We can not advise you about this just yet, sorry.
>
>OK. Do you have the Fedora web site handy?

Go to the RedHat homepage and follow links from there.

Tom