20050516: McIDAS on Solaris x86 10

>From:  "Robert Mullenax" <address@hidden>

Hi Robert,

>Just curious, I have been reading report after report (not just from
>Sun) of Solaris being as fast or faster then Linux on Oracle, Apache,
>various non-cpu crunching activity.

I have been reading the same sorts of reports from places like
InfoWorld as well.

>Are you guys still down on Solaris 10 after your three-way test debacle
>where it fell on it's face?

We are not down on Solaris x86 10 at all.  My comments to you
previously were more of a validation of Fedora Core 3 64-bit as a very
nice platform for LDM/IDD.  We are using Solaris x86 10 for a GOES
ingester and have not had any problems with it so far.

>I noticed you only recommended FreeBSD and
>Linux for even McIDAS, even though Solaris 10 is free as well.  Have you
>had other bad results?

No, our bad results were very limited.  I have to admit, however, that
our general use of x86 10 has been limited so far, but we expect this
to change as machines get upgraded internally.  As we both know all too
well, Solaris is much better for NFS activities than any Linux
distribution.  This may eventually be addressed by the Linux
development community, but it hasn't happened yet so x86 would still be
the choice if NFS was a big part of the performance equationa.