[Platforms #XVL-208329]: ECC vs NON-ECC memory

Hi Mike,

re: ECC vs non-ECC memory
> Does anyone have strong feelings on whether a system with ECC memory is
> required/necessary/beneficial for running the LDM as a relay node, or
> should non-ECC memory be sufficient?

Our experience here at the UPC is that ECC memory should be used on systems
that require its use.  Using it when it is not demanded by the motherboard
is typically a bit of waste of money.

My personal experience is that ECC memory was required on certain revisions
of certain Tyan motherboards like the ones I used in systems I built for
the Universidad de Costa Rica and the Caribbean Institute of Meteorology
and Hydrology in Barbados as part of our MeteoForum effort.  When I tried
using non-ECC memory or a combination of ECC and non-ECC memory, the OS
would not boot, or in some cases the BIOS would not even get to the point
of trying to boot the OS.

Ticket ID: XVL-208329
Department: Support Platforms